A lot of beliefs and rituals believed to bring luck and good fortune every New Year is followed by many such as house cleaning, wearing of red clothes, giving out red envelopes/ Hong Bao, etc. with the hopes of gaining good fortune and having an auspicious year.
One of the important things that we prepare during the Chinese New Year's celebration is the food. The Chinese New Year Eve's dinner is actually considered the most important meal of the year. In China, family members would see to it that they get to go home and be with their families during the celebration.
Here are some food ideas that you can prepare for the upcoming Chinese New Year:
- Noodles for good health and longevity
- Round cake or round sweets for continuous prosperity and promotions.
- Whole pork dish (e.g. Patatim, Ham, Lechon Belly) for bountiful blessings
- Sweet Sticky Rice (e.g. biko, palitaw, bochi, tikoy) for abundance and good luck
- Seafood (except lobster or crabs) for happiness.
- Dumplings (siomai, lumpia shanghai) for wealth
- Fish (must be served whole and with scales, e.g. bangus or lapu-lapu) for prosperity
- Green salad/ vegetables for money
- Good fortune fruits (e.g. oranges, pomelos, tangerines) for fullness and wealth