Lent is a time to reflect and focus on our spiritual well-being. During this season, my family and I observe abstinence every Friday. This means that we avoid eating meats such as pork, chicken, and beef.
It may sound easier said than done, but skipping red and white meat during Holy Week is actually a bit challenging if you are used to having meat all the time. Personally, I am running out of ideas of what to prepare. Thus, I am happy to find these meat-free meals that are delicious, healthy, and easy to prepare.
Below are some easy to prepare Lent-friendly meals you’ll want to make this Holy Week:
TIP: Some of the ingredients are available from Unilever's official store in Shopee. You can simply order them online hassle-free. Sharing the direct links as well. :)
Salted Egg Prawns
Tickle your taste buds with this rich Singaporean dish that's crispy on the outside, but soft and warm on the inside.
● Prawn Preparation
- Season the prawns with Knorr Rostip Chicken Seasoning Powder.
- Add the egg white. Coat the prawns with rice flour.
- Heat oil to 340F. Deep-fry the prawns until crisp and golden brown.
- Set the cooked prawns aside over paper towels until ready to use.
● Sauce Preparation
- Heat oil in a small wok. Add margarine and stir until it melts.
- Add the curry leaves and the finger chilies.
- Add the fried prawns, gently tossing them with the sauce.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately.
Tofu Mushroom Cauli Sisig
Enjoy a plate of sizzling sisig without the guilt with this veggie-and-mushroom-filled variation of the classic Filipino dish.
- In a bowl mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Set aside.
● Tofu Preparation
- In a bowl season tofu with Knorr Rostip and black pepper. Deep fry until golden brown and set aside.
● Mushroom Preparation
- Using the breading, dredge the mushroom and tap excess. Deep fry in the same frying oil used in tofu until golden brown, set aside.
- Using the breading, dredge the blanched cauliflower and tap excess. Deep fry in the same frying oil used in tofu until golden brown, set aside.
● Eggplant Soy Dressing
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients until well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- In a wok, heat margarine. Add onions and chilies and saute until they are soft. Add in tofu, mushroom, and cauliflower. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Season with Knorr Liquid Seasoning and turn off the heat. Fold in Eggplant Soy dressing and mix until well combined.
- Transfer to a sizzling plate and garnish with cherry tomatoes, leeks, and spring onions.
- Serve with calamansi on the side.
Star Ingredient: Knorr Liquid Seasoning
Fresh Ube Lumpia
Give your regular lumpia a twist with a hint of sweetness from ube strips. With the combination of sweet, nutty, and salty, flavors, you’ll surely be in for a surprise.
● Lumpia Filling
- Add oil to the wok and apply medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until soft. Then, add ube to the wok and saute.
- Pour water and Knorr Shrimp powder and bring to boil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and toss lightly. Cover for 1 min, then apply high heat and remove cover. Toss and mix well until it's cooked.
- Transfer to a colander to remove excess liquid. Set aside to cool.
● Lumpia Sauce
- Mix everything (except cornstarch and water) in a pot. Apply heat.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1-3 minutes.
- Add Slurry (cornstarch and water mixture) to thicken the sauce.
● Ube Savory Crepe/Wrapper
- In a bowl mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Rest the batter in the chiller for 30 minutes.
- In a Teflon pan: add oil and cook 1/3 cup of the crepe batter.
- Add lettuce on top of the crepe, top the lettuce with filling, then fold.
- Drizzle with Lumpia Sauce and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
Star Ingredient: Knorr Shrimp Powder
Commit to your Lenten practice with these timeless meatless recipes for you and your whole family. Find all the Unilever Food Solutions ingredients you need for these recipes and more at Shopee.
Share your favorite recipe on the comment section below.