It's official! We haven't gone out of the house (literally!) for a year already as of this day. This is because we believe that the most effective way to keep you safe from the virus is to stay at home and avoid exposure at all costs. Since I am considered high-risk and my mom is a senior citizen, we'd like to take the necessary precautions as much as we could.
Since I had been working from home, I had the option not to go out of the house. The only adjustments that we need to do were our grocery, bank transactions, and errands. Luckily, companies and stores were able to adjust immediately and now have online services available thus, it was easy for consumers like me to fulfill these responsibilities through the use of technology and mobile apps.
Is this for real?
When I tell my friends that we REALLY do not leave the house, they have a hard time believing and they keep on asking if I was okay and what it feels like to be stuck at home all the time. To answer this question -- Yes, I am okay and you can say that I am a happy quarantined individual (if there is such a term. LOL!) I have made this decision voluntarily and whole-heartedly and I am grateful to have this choice for me and my family.
After all, 2020 is an unforgettable year. It was a rollercoaster ride and truly life-changing. However, I don't think it is 100% bad but rather it was a wake-up call to teach us important lessons in life. Being stuck at home, made me realize what truly matters. The safety and health of my family is my top priority.
It is not a bed of roses
I remember one night during the early days of the lockdown, I was crying as I was just so scared and lost. When I think about our situation, there was no end in sight. I was disappointed and anxious. I had mixed emotions. But then I prayed and thought about what I really wanted for me and my family. Then, I realized that as long as we are safe and healthy and we have our basic needs (food, water, shelter, clothing, air) then we will be okay. I don't have to worry about other things for now.
These are some of the lines and quotes that I held on to while dealing with this crisis.
"2020 is not the year of thinking about your dreams or plans, but just to ensure that you stay alive"
- Be part of the team behind high-impact online events like the HR Summit Global with 10,000+ participants and World Gratitude Summit with 15,000+ participants from 40+ countries globally. Since live events are not allowed during the pandemic, the conduct of online events was one of the major changes that we had.
Check out the World Gratitude Summit highlights below. :)
- Val and I founded Bacolod Food and Supply Sources, an online community created to help address the needs of our local community during the quarantine. It was a venue where members are encouraged to stay at home and opt for alternative ways (e.g. delivery service to source their needs like groceries, food, and medicine. We also had local sellers and suppliers as members whom we were able to support their business through online transactions. To date, we have over 8,600 members.
- I was able to co-author the book, To the First Woman Who Loved Me with Sha Nacino, Bro. Bo Sanchez, Kat Aristorenas, etc. It was a special Mother's Day tribute where I shared a story all about my mom. The book features 42 heartwarming and inspiring stories that will rekindle treasured moments with your mom.
- The year also opened up another passion project for us as we launched our official Youtube channel. This time, our Youtube channel will feature DIY tips, tech and gadget reviews, instructional materials, and game streaming. Thus, the content will be slightly different from the blog. Hope you can support us in this too by subscribing to our channel.
- We also had a Disney-themed Christmas tree and organized a Christmas Lighting Event. This is going to be one of our family traditions every December 8.
- Completed "Simbang Gabi" for the first time where we attended the Manila Cathedral's online mass every 4:30AM for 9 straight days.
- Had a Virtual Noche Buena with Family
- Started affiliate marketing with Involve Asia and this has been exciting and rewarding. You may read more about it, here.
- Became part of the support team for the Virtual Speakers Association International, which is one of the top professional speakers' associations globally.