Coworking spaces are very important to freelancers like me. If you are not so sure what I am talking about, a coworking space is a place with a shared working environment like an office or something like a study area at home. The only difference is that the people using it are usually not employed by the same company or organization.
Though there are a lot of variations in terms of the ambiance or atmosphere, a strong and fast internet connection, as well as a reliable generator (in case of power outages), are constant in coworking spaces.
I was still in Manila when I started using coworking spaces. There is no doubt that the availability of these work areas has saved me every time there are power outages or internet failure and I cannot afford to miss work. Thus, when we moved to Bacolod, it was one of the things I looked for ASAP.
Luckily, we were able to find Dojo 8 Coworking Spaces. It is located at Lacson Street, Bacolod near Starbucks Lacson. The place is very accessible and rates are really cheap. Not to mention they offer unlimited coffee. Then earlier this year, they opened their second branch at the back of Bar 21 named Dojo 8 Coliving Spaces. By the way, this is not a sponsored post.
Dojo 8 Coliving Spaces is not your typical coworking space. So, let me share with you the top 5 things why it is so popular among freelancers and students.
1. Overnight Accommodation - Dojo 8 have rooms available in case you need to stay overnight. They are very spacious, clean and affordable. It is also very ideal for travelers who still need to work and can't really rely on their hotel's wifi service. My friends from Dumaguete stayed at Dojo 8 for quite a number of times and they love it.
2. Location - They are located in the heart of Bacolod City. As mentioned, they are at the back of Bar 21, a restaurant that provides a fusion of Filipino delicacies combined with Italian and American favorites (You can read about our Bar 21 Review here) and Bob's Cafe just across the street. There is also a Japanese restaurant a few steps away.
3. Recreational Facilities and Fun Environment - Dojo 8 provides ping pong tables and other outdoor games. They also have the garden area and some chairs outside which means that you have options on where you want to stay. You're not just limited to an air-conditioned room sitting on a chair.
4. Pet-Friendly - As a fur parent, this meant a lot to me. At Dojo 8, you can work while your dogs play on the lawn. No need to leave our furbabies alone at home. Thus, I am looking forward to bring Crumpy, Cheesecake, and Cinderella soon. (I am thinking if we would be allowed to visit together or there is a limit on the number of dogs one can bring.)
5. Events - Dojo 8 Coliving Spaces is now central to freelancer events here in Bacolod. They hold both free and paid seminars and workshops. Last January 2016, they had the HOW TO START A HOME-BASED CAREER SEMINAR organized by The Purple Secretary and last May 12, the Freelancer Meet-up organized by the Digital Career Advocates of the Philippines.
And aside from all of these, I love working at Dojo 8 because you get to be surrounded by like-minded people who want to be productive.
So, don't forget to follow Dojo 8 Coliving Spaces on Facebook for event updates and promotions. How about you? Do you have your own favorite freelancer spot?